BAGELS! (more or less from here)
I'm sick and tired of trying (and failing) to remember what amazing modifications I made to the recipe last time, so I'm going to stick my version in a more or less convenient place.
1. Mix 1.5 cups of flour, .5 tablespoon salt (1.5 teaspoon), 1.5 tablespoon sugar (4.5 teaspoon), 1 package yeast in a nice big bowl.
2. Add 3/4 cup hot water (any temperature seems to be fine), go light. Mix. Add another 1/4 cup flour. Mix.
3. Knead. Approaching 15 mins by an unskilled kneader seems good.
4. Rise for 1.5-2 hrs.
5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put water and some sugar in medium pot over medium-high heat.
6. Make bagels (5 produces nicely sized bagels, if a little flat). Let sit for about 10 minutes.
7. Bathe bagels for about 30 seconds per side. Place over nonstick spray.
8. Bake for 10 minutes, then flip. Bake for another 8-12 minutes.